Understanding of Love

Love is a misunderstood term. When the world says love it means a feeling most commonly, though not exclusively, romantically. In these terms, love is the feeling I get when I'm with someone I care for, if I don't get that feeling then I don't love.

For Christians, and in particular for Orthodox, love is not a feeling it is a commandment. Imagine how ridiculous it would be if when the Lord commands us to love one another (see John 13:34) he means we should have feelings for one another: were those feelings to disappear then we would no longer be his disciples. It is preposterous, it is unthinkable.

We can think of many examples of what we do to love another – feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, take in the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and imprisoned (see Matt. 25:31-46) – but love has shown himself perfectly through suffering with all humanity on the Cross. To love is to suffer for, or rather co-suffer with, the other: to see the image of God within him and repent of his lost likeness with God so that he will find salvation. Inasmuch as I weep for the sins of my neighbour, without condemning him nor losing my peace, and holding myself as the chief of sinners (1 Tim. 1:15) I am keeping the commandment of God.

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:34-35)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are we saints? - Sunday of St John Climacus

Advice to one joining the Church from Protestantism

The Next Forty Years